As a cloud-based workflow application, DF Studio’s mission is to help users work efficiently, anytime and anywhere. To support users who are on set or off site, this release introduces a Visual Screen Protection (VSP) feature. VSP inhibits unauthorized “over-the-shoulder” access from passersby; that is, photographing previews in DF Studio and sending or circulating them. VSP is a visual reminder that library content is sensitive and ought to remain as protected as possible. Implementing Visual Screen Protection helps users engage with DF Studio in a broader range of circumstances.
Enhancements were also made to several existing features, including watermarking, metadata editing, the custom badged field, DF Studio’s Web Uploader, and the API. All of these improvements, along with security upgrades and increased video file support, represent a software update that the DF Studio team is excited and proud to share with its users.
Visual Screen Protection (VSP):
Visual Screen Protection (VSP) deters unauthorized parties from seeing full image previews or capturing and sharing screenshots from their phones. It displays text over asset previews, including thumbnails, to obscure the contents of an account’s DF Studio library; this text consists of the account name, the date, and a randomly generated token that is associated with a particular user. In the event that a visually protected asset becomes shared outside of DF Studio, please contact DF Studio support. Our team can determine which user is associated with the token and notify the account administrator.
There are 2 ways to activate VSP in DF Studio. One is through a library-based permission that can be enabled or disabled for each library item. Using this permission setting, account administrators can require VSP for specific Projects, Collections, or folders; set it as the default for the entire library; or allow certain users to access unprotected image previews. Account administrators can configure VSP settings in the “Settings” panel for watermarks and branding. Available settings for the text in VSP mode include position, opacity, size, and tilt.
Another way to access VSP in the library is by enabling User VSP, which users can activate at their discretion wherever and whenever necessary. User VSP is available for all users, regardless of the library VSP setting.
- Additional security measures protect users who clicked a malicious link from potential phishing attacks, which attempt to redirect them away from DF Studio after logging in.
- Messenger URLs are now validated before attempting import.
- Permissions now appear in the same order in the “Users and Teams” settings page as they do in the permissions overlay (accessed from the Inspector). Function-specific permissions now display in the following order: Create Projects/Folders; Upload; Share Collections; Organize Assets; Edit Selects; Write Metadata; Download; Send.
- There are several new options available when configuring watermarking settings: watermarks can be tiled for additional image coverage and/or rotated at increments of 45 degrees. These options are also available for the text in VSP. Additionally, users can enter a single line of custom text to be used as a watermark.
- “Save and Next” and “Save and Previous” have been added to all metadata editors, including the Metadata Messenger’s editor.
- Keyboard shortcuts are now available for easy and convenient metadata editing. To save an edit, type command+s or ctrl+s. To save an edit and navigate to the next asset in a batch, type command+shift+s or ctrl+shift+s. To save an edit and navigate to the previous asset in a batch, type command+shift+p or ctrl+shift+p. To undo a change, type command+shift+z or ctrl+shift+z.
- The metadata-driven badged field now loads on pages dynamically: if a badge is changed, it will update automatically without the page needing to be reloaded.
- Updated the Web Uploader to correct the time if the uploader’s clock drifted or was manually changed.
- Added support for MXF video files.
- Made general performance updates/enhancements to the API.
- Added the ability to query assets in the API by Projects in which they are contained.
Please contact DF Studio support with any feedback or questions about this release. To learn more about this update, please refer to the following knowledge base articles:
Download the full release notes below.